-large pinch of saffron strands
-500-600ml of chicken/veggie stock
-3 tbsp olive oil
-100g of chorizo/salami stick, roughly chopped
-1 onion, finely chopped
-3 cloves of garlic, minced (3 tsp)
-1 red capsicum, chopped
-2 tsp paprika
-250g paella rice
-4 tomatoes, chopped
-100g of frozen peas
-250-300g of cooked prawns or marinara mix (normally prawns with shells on are used, however, I like it better without)
-salt & pepper to taste
-optional: 1/4 tsp chilli flakes, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (if you like it spicy)
-garnish: lemon wedges & parsley
- Add saffron strands to your stock and leave to infuse while you prepare the rest.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a large, deepish frypan and place on medium heat.
- Add chorizo/salami to your pan and cook for 5-10 minutes. Set cooked chorizo aside on a plate lined with paper towel.
- Leave the pan dirty from cooking the chorizo, add another tbsp of oil and sauté the onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Add the capsicum and paprika to the pan and cook for another 3-5 minutes. You should start to get some crunchy bits sticking to the bottom one the pan which is what you want.
- Add rice to the mix and coat with the ingredients in the pan. Pour in stock and scrap the bottom of the pan, lifting the bits of the bottom off. Add the tomatoes and stir.
- Cover the pan and simmer/cook for 10 minutes. During this time, stir twice.
- Remove cover and scatter the prawns, chorizo and peas over the top. Cover again for 10 minutes or until the liquid has almost fully evaporated and the rice is soft.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add in chilli and cayenne pepper here if you wish. Mix in and simmer for a few extra minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- To serve, sprinkle with parsley and lemon wedges. Enjoy!